Want to get away from the big cities like Tokyo and Osaka? Try this itinerary! It will take 1-2 weeks, depending on how much hiking and/or snowboarding or skiing you want to do. This guide is therefore showing just our recommended route.
Cost: 55000 yen – 75000 yen per person (per week)
- Take the night bus from Tokyo to Nagano.
- Take a day trip to Yudanaka to see the monkey hot spring. Return to Nagano and check out Zenkoji Hondo Temple in the evening.
- If it’s winter time, go to Hakuba for some cheap skiing or snowboarding for a few days. Use Alpico Bus from Nagano station east exit.
- Next head to the castle city of Matsumoto and spend a day there. From Hakuba take the train or bus. From from Nagano use Alpico Bus from Nagano station east exit.
- After Matsumoto, in the summer head to Kamikochi for some hiking and walking in the Japanese Alps. In winter continue straight to Takayama. Buses are available from Matsumoto Bus Terminal outside Matsumoto station east exit.
- Spend a day or two in Takayama.
- Enjoy a side trip in the quieter town of Hida Furukawa.
- Make your way back to Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya with Nohi Bus.
Get an expert to do it for you
Want a custom trip plan, created by a Japan expert, all for you? Let me do it for you here!